Weighing out one ounce increments of Romney wool roving in a light gray. Then I tie them with cotton. I add two to each crock pot to dye.
They soak in a water bath with a couple splashes of vinegar for 20 minutes. I can then prepare the dye solution.
Then I add dye. This time three colors. A blue, light green and teal. I turn on the crockpot on high. I let it sit covered until heat set or starting to steam. I turn off the crockpot and I leave alone until cool. Rinse and let dry.
The top once was my first attempt. No natural color remained and a bit dark. The second a bit too light. Similar with the third. Getting closer though. One spun into a two ply it looks like this: